With the constant increase in applications being used both inside an organization and by customers, it’s more important than ever to have a firm grasp on the performance of these applications. With this digital transformation, enterprises need to do their due diligence in performance testing complex modern applications at scale, from the user perspective, all without breaking the bank.
To understand the market and maintain application performance, you’ll need an active monitoring modern platform that will ensure you can test complex application workflows in any environment.
How are your legacy performance testing solutions keeping up?
The short answer is that they aren’t. Today’s enterprise application performance requires the ability to test advanced test script generation tools, make scripting easier, and scale load testing at record high capacity levels.
We’ve been watching this trend for years and have seen a major shift in performance monitoring needs. To keep up with the need for 24/7 outside-in monitoring demand, there are several key feature requirements you should look for in a modern performance testing platform:
- Mega-scale load testing—load testing should scale up to millions of users within seconds to emulate the speed and scale of virtually any high-profile event worldwide, like a global television event.
- Support a wide variety of devices and application types–The platform should be optimized to support multiple devices and everything from legacy apps to cloud-native apps with API integrations.
- Scripting simplicity–the script generation tool should provide easy-to-use script and graphical user interface (GUI) options creating scripts with minimal time and effort. Users should also be able to access code directly for advanced scripting, not only via the GUI. Users should also be able to use the same test platform and scripts from the cloud, on-premises, or via a hybrid model.
- Support for capacity planning–Many organizations rely on dynamic scaling to address usage spikes. Users should be able to determine the number of machines required in each cluster to support a given number of users in load testing.
- A DevOps focus–Rich API support for test automation and command control of the full test process should allow the integration between Operations and Development to be as seamless as possible.
Built-in correlation, either as a standalone solution or integrated with other platforms–An active monitoring solution should offer unique correlations to integrate metrics with cloud platforms, APM solutions, and similar products to provide detailed insights into the actual source of a detected performance or availability problem.
- Application optimization–Customers should be able to load tests against specific functions of an application to determine how well it performs as the number of users escalates. Any modified code can then be retested to make sure the problem was addressed.
- Security-related load testing–The solution should be able to simulate Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks based on both volume and malware traffic patterns. This allows users to validate and simulate diverse types of traffic for defense systems and services while concurrently simulating normal system loads.
- Broad partner network–Interoperability with a broad partner network should provide analytics and script-based testing with APM, infrastructure monitoring, CDN monitoring, and similar capabilities.
With all of these features, it is clear that you need to implement a new breed of application and performance testing, but what if you have invested significant resources into a legacy tool?
Whether you are using the LoadRunner test tool or another legacy testing platform, it’s clear that they no longer have the capabilities needed to keep up with the modern application-driven world. Apica is the modern platform that will help you meet the speed, scalability, and stability requirements to ensure your applications perform as expected.
How do you switch performance monitoring platforms to best serve your current investment? Apica makes it easy by taking a native LoadRunner solution and quickly importing them right into the platform so you can continue to leverage the scripting through the Apica language. This means you can conserve your investment and get the modern performance monitoring you need.
It’s time to make the switch to support the modern user experience for applications while continuing to drive performance on existing investments. Apica is a modern platform that supports more devices while also supporting legacy solutions. Having the right high-level performance testing solution helps you solve complex digital performance challenges and gives you a competitive advantage.
You can make the switch from legacy to modern investments easily with Apica through our automated solution, and our support team that can help convert thousands of scripts.